GEANT A Global Leader
From Isabel Plaza Wiki
 Introduction to the GÉANT - A Global Leader
This wiki coordinates the technical setup of the distributed event, GÉANT - A Global Leader, which will provide an overview of the achievements to date of the multi-gigabit, pan-European backbone research network interconnecting Europe's national research and education networks (NRENs), and will then discuss the future requirements and strategy for the next generation of the network.
The seminar will be a virtual event where participants distributed all around the world will participate over the Internet by means of the Isabel aplication. Isabel creates a virtual auditorium where speakers, chairs or attendees can interact from the auditoriums where they attend or from their desktops. To set up a remote site follow the instructions for participation. Participating sites will be included in this list as they confirm participation.
The GÉANT - A Global Leader distributed part of the event will take place on March 4th, from 09:00 to 12:30 CET (08:00 - 11:30 UTC/GMT) (Check your local starting time here.).
The event will also be streamed at the Isabel Plaza.
 Instructions for participation
If you plan to set up an Isabel site please do as follows:
- Confirm participation by clicking here and sending the email which pops up with the requested data filled in (name of your institution, town and country where it is located, as well as the name, email and telefone of both, the organisational contact of your site dealing with administrative issues and the technical contact encharged of Isabel set up and test).
- Install an Isabel PC following these instructions.
- We recommend to install Isabel on hard disk. If you have Isabel already installed update to the latest Isabel version.
- Connect a room or auditorium for interactive participation over Isabel following the guidelines for setting up a room or auditorium.
- Participate in the tests as scheduled by the technical coordinators for your region. A more detailed testing plan for each region will be published here soon.
- - Technical coordinators: Abel Carril and Jaime Mejia (Phone +34-91-336-73-66 Ext. 3036).
 Submitting Presentations
If you are a speaker in the GÉANT - A Global Leader please click here and send the mail poping up with the requested data by 25th February 2008 such that the complete program and slides can be published on the web.
 Test Schedule
Seminar participants shall set up and test the Isabel platform as follows:
- Install Isabel and perform local tests using the Local Test command.
- Connect to the session server mcu1.dit.upm.es (IPv4: 18.104.22.168. IPv6: 2001:720:1500:24:230:48ff:fe54:2d4b) for testing connectivity over the Internet. The server mcu1.dit.upm.es will be available from the 19th of February on till the GÉANT - A Global Leader event.
- Before the 26th of February and when your Isabel PC installation is ready or when you need support, arrange an end-to-end Isabel test with the technical coordinators of your area where your installation will be thoroughly checked and certified.
- In order to arrange a test with coordinators, please send an e-mail to Abel Carril and Jaime Mejia (by clicking here)
- Participate in the preparation workshop on the 26th of February: it will have the same schedule as the event, 09:00 – 12:30 CET (08:00 - 11:30 UTC/GMT) (Check your local starting time here.) and will act as a final platform test. The workshop will be also used to train sites in the use of Isabel and will have two parts:
- Isabel tunning, set up and training (first hour). Juan Quemada and technical coordinators.
- Rehearsal of remote presentations of networking session (second hour). By all participants.
- Additional tests and problem solving with technical coordinators of your area in between the two workshops if needed.
- Networking test at BLED Site will take place next Friday at 11:00 CET (10:00 UTC/GMT) in order to check final network setup and performance.
- Tunning workshop on the 3rd of March: will have the same schedule as the GÉANT - A Global Leader: 09:00 – 12:30 CET (08:00 - 11:30 UTC/GMT) (Check your local starting time here.). It should be made from the final auditorium and with the final configuration. The workshop will act as the absolutely final tunning and test before the event.
- 4th of March GÉANT - A Global Leader. Participants must connect to the distributed event one hour before the start.
 Streaming Servers
The event will be streamed over the Internet at Isabel Plaza.
 Video recording and streaming
New!The recording of the GEANT2 Isabel videoconference session is already available in streaming format, split into two parts.
New!It is also available to download at Isabel Plaza Events Repository
 Preliminary Programme
The Videoconferencing session will cover the following topics, part of the Global/regional Networking Perspective section of the event:
- 09:00 CET: Opening Remarks (Check your local starting time here.)
- 09:10 CET: ARNES work and achievements
- 09:30 CET: TEIN2 Achievements and plans - Asia
- 09:50 CET: SEEREN achievements and plans - South East Europe
- 10:20 CET: Coffee Break
- 10:40 CET: Alice Project Achievements and plans - Latin America
- 11:00 CET: EUMEDCONNECT Project Achievements - Mediterranean
- 11:20 CET: New Programmes
- 11:40 CET: Lightning presentations
- 12:00 CET: Future Global Networking Requirements/Perspectives Panel Discussion (videoconferencing)
- 12:30 CET: Distributed session end
 Participating sites
Below you will find the list of remote Isabel sites which have already confirmed their participation. If you plan to participate and are not included yet, notify the organisers following the instructions for participation. Once your inscription is processed and your site is included in the list, please take note of the assigned nick to be used on your Isabel connections:
|Site name||Nick||Site contacts||Tests status|
|GEANT2 Coordination BLED||Bled.Slovenia||Geant coordination contacts|
|Universidad Politécnica de Madrid||UPM.Madrid|| Organizational: Juan Quemada|
Phone: +34-915495700 ext 3039
Technical: Abel Carril and Jaime Mejía
Phone: +34-915495700 ext 3036
|Jožef Stefan Institute (Ljubljana)||IJS.Slovenia|| Organizational: Borka Jerman Blazic|
Phone: +386 1 4773408
Technical: Dusan Gabrijelcic
Phone: +386 1 4773757
|TUBITAK-ULAKBIM (Ankara)||TUB.Turkey|| Organizational: Serkan ORCAN|
Phone: +90 312 2989309
Technical: Nese KAPTAN KOC
Phone: +90 312 2989313
|Advanced Science Technology Institute (Quezon City))||ASTI.Philippines|| Organizational: Denis F. Villorente|
Phone: +632-4269760 local 1101
Technical: Zeppy VIlan & Ferdinand Go
Phone: +632-4269760 local 1409/1405
|Malaysian Research & Education Network||MYREN.Malaysia|| Organizational: Kamal Hisham|
Phone: +603 8318 5784
Technical: Lau Ken Poh
Phone: +603 8318 3151
|Institut Teknologi Bandung||ITB.Indonesia|| Organizational: Basuki Suhardiman|
Phone: +62 818218337
Technical: Ahmad Oki Mu'alim
Phone: +62 8157712670
|CERNET||Beijing.China|| Organizational: Jie An|
Phone: +8610 62603020
Technical: WeiCai Wang
Phone: +8610 62603029
|Red Universitaria Nacional||REUNA.Chile||Organizational@Technical: Andrés Hernández||OK|
|DANTE (Cambridge)||DANTE.Uk|| Organizational@Technical: Waldemar Zurowski|
Phone: +44 1223 371300
|CNRST (Centre National pour la Recherche Scientifique et Technique)||CNRST.Morocco|| Organizational: Redouane Merrouch|
Phone: +212 37686233
Technical: Youness Hamidi
Phone: +212 66970939
|GARR (Rome)||GARR.Italy|| Organizational@Technical: Mario Reale|
Phone: +39 06 4962 2537
|CERIST - ARN (Algiers)||CERIST.Algeria|| Organizational: Aouaouche El-Maouhab|
Phone: +213 21 91 54 34
Technical: Ali Bouali
Phone: +213 21 91 54 34
|Egyptian Universities Network (EUN)||EUN.Egypt|| Organizational: Dina Barakat|
Technical: Nasser Elattar